The RSMS (187) Visa is an employer sponsored visa designed to fill genuine skills shortages in regional and rural Australia.
This visa application involves both the RSMS (187) Nomination application and the RSMS (187) Visa application.
Recent changes made to the RSMS (187) Visa
The RSMS (187) Visa program recently finished and in November 2019 the last applications for this visa were made . The only applications which can now be made for RSMS (187) are for those in the “Transitional Stream” that is those who have held a temporary (457) or (482) visa with the same employer for 2 years.
However Australia is still very focused on having skilled people from overseas, living and working in regional Australia and contributing to growing our regional towns and cities.
A range of new VISA PROGRAMS for Regional Australia was released on 15 November 2019. Keep in mind that Regional Australia is most of the country, in fact all states and territories, including cities EXCEPT Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
The new visas are:
- The Regional Employer Sponsored (Provisional ) (494)
- The Regional Skilled Independent (Provisional ) (491) – state nominated and points tested
Both of these visas are for 3 years and have a pathway to permanent residence.
There are also now Designated Area Migration Agreements (DAMA) which enable businesses to employ workers in specific occupations needed in their region. From these DAMAs TSS (482) visas can be granted and there is a pathway to permanent residence for these visa holders.
DAMAs are active in:
- Northern Territory: Northern Territory Designated Area Migration Agreement
- The Goldfields, WA: City of Kalgoorlie Boulder
- Great South Coast, VIC: Warrnambool City Council
- Adelaide City and Regional SA: Immigration South Australia
- Orana, NSW: Regional Development Australia – Orana, NSW
- Far North Queensland: Cairns Chamber of Commerce DAMA – Cairns Chamber of Commerce, FNQ
Contact us for more information on the new regional visa programs and visa changes. We can assist with choosing the best visa pathway for you. Send us an email.
Cairns City Office
Suite 12, 25 Grafton Street, Cairns Queensland 4870 Australia
t: +61 7 4041 1580
f: +61 7 4051 1530